Friday, August 28, 2009

Serious Talk....

I realize that I spend most of my time throughout a day making fun of people or snapping off snarky comments. However, there is a side of me that touches on serious things and this is one of those times.

Kristi's Aunt passed away this past week and I was at home with her family. I helped out with as much as I could considering everything that her family had to deal with. It was an extremely sad time. She was only 51, and despite not having a huge impact on my life, she most definitely did on Kristi and every other member of her extended family.

I really haven't had anyone too close to me pass away except for one grandfather. And as sad as that was, he was very sick and in his late 70's, so it was expected. This women, though being extremely sick, was just entering the prime of her life and now will not be around to see her three daughters grow up. I have no idea why people die at a young age, but it isn't fair. I wish her family the best and some sort of consolation during their time of grief.

I've known people who have lost close family members, and they told me it sucks more than you could ever imagine. And after hearing that one of my first thoughts was, "How can I help in their time of need?"

I've realized that you really can't make anything physically better. But, you can be there for them whether they need a cry or a laugh. Because ultimately people just need to know they are loved and cared about. I think I did a good job these past few days being that shoulder to lean on, and though the situation was not fun at all, I think I came out of it a better person.

I don't really have a point to all of this rambling except this. If you consider someone a friend, be there for them in their time of need. It will mean the world to them and most likely, when something goes down in your life they will be there for you. It's not the greatest situation to be in, but it goes along way in helping the healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment