Monday, May 11, 2009

The saga continues....

On the company dollar (well the tickets at least) I went to the Cubs/Brewers game Friday night at Miller Park. And after coming back from the game, I have a few thoughts.

1.) I enjoyed my experience for the most part and sat next to a guy my age who was pretty awesome. He was in his Brewers regalia, and I in my Cubs'. And there was no yelling, no cursing, no animosity. We talked baseball, talked life and cracked jokes about both teams. Among the topics: Prince Fielder's weight, Jason Kendall's giant gummer, and Mike Fontenot's dwarfishness. It was truly a great time to sit next a complete stranger, yet drum up a friendship over baseball.

2.) However, the night was not without idiot fans for both sides. Many expletives were thrown and people were booed. And I just can't understand it. I have always been told I take the game too serious when I attend in person. I keep score. I don't drink enough. I don't get loud enough. But you know what, I don't act like an asshole either. So when it comes down to it, I would rather be the quiet, weird guy keeping score enjoying his one $7.50 beer, than the doucheosity yelling and dropping f-bombs in front of 7 year olds and their mothers. I'm old fashioned like that.

3.) Ryan Braun needs to knock it off. I already sound like an old-timer in this post so I might as well finish it off. He hit a home run that won the game on Friday and it was a beast of a hit. I was there and the crowd was absolutely deafening. I later saw replays of his "hot-dogging it" around the bases and was not pleased. Emotion is one thing, dickishness is another. I don't like it when anyone shows up the other team. The NL Central has its culprits in Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Zambrano, Jose Valverde, and Ryan Braun. It needs to stop. It's not crying over spilled milk for me about Braun. He has done this against the Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates, and Astros. I'm sorry, when you show up four of your division opponents on separate occasions, you are going to see a fastball in the ear hole. And I will sit back and say, "I told you so."

4.) The parking situation at Miller Park needs to be figured out and quickly. the game was done at 9:25 and we did not exit the parking area until 10:30. Whoever designed that place should never get a job. Ever again.

5.) I went to the game with my dad and had a great time. We chatted throughout the game and the drive to and fro, and ultimately just enjoyed each others company. My family is not one for sentimental moments, but it definitely would go on the list. He thanked me for taking him, and on that day, I wouldn't have wanted to spend the night with anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Bruany likes to show off a little because it wasn't so long ago he was wearing a Ryan Dempster fastball on his head. I remember when he hit one did his trademark admiration, Lance Berkman looked at him as he jogged past and said "You're a fucking rookie". That put it in perspective for me. The Big Puma saying it like it is. Play the game, you'll hit plenty more.

    ReplyDelete