Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday....

Watched the bulk of the Oscars last night and all really went as I assumed it would. All the acting winners had won just about everything leading up to that point. Kinda makes me wish there was only a couple of awards shows, because the drama is completely lost. I really had no horse in the race because I hadn't seen any of the movies the actors were nominated for. Though congrats to Jeff Bridges, who can't go 12 seconds with calling a dude "man."

The Hurt Locker destroyed Avatar, because Hollywood is full of yuppies. I threw The Hurt Locker into my queue for netflix to see what all the fuss is about. If it is a good movie then I have no problem with it winning. But I see a direct correlation between the two movies as if it were an MVP race in sports. The Hurt Locker is most likely the better movie, and should win the Most Outstanding Movie. Avatar was the most integral part of movies this year and will probably be remembered longer, making it the Most Valuable Movie. Either way I kind of have an issue because in 10 years no one will remember The Hurt Locker. But when 1 out of every 2 movies made is motion-captured, we will remember Avatar being that trailblazer. Reminds me of 1998, when Shakespeare in Love won the award over Saving Private Ryan. 12 years later which movie do you remember more vividly?

Congrats to Kathryn Bigelow for winning best director. It is overdue for a woman to win. Yet, I have a soft spot in my heart for Tarantino, and sadly think he has a Scorsese-like fate in his future. In about 15 years after being nominated 3 more times, he will finally win for a movie that is inferior to his previous works. But that is hardly his fault that he peaked so early. Also find it hard to believe there was a movie that went back and forth between English, Italian, German, and French as much as Inglorious Basterds did this year. So how that doesn't win best screenplay I will never know.

And lastly, people who produce the actual awards show, make it entertaining. This is not 1947, I the casual viewer, do not need a musical number to open the show. Even if said number involves NPH. We are not trying to inspire national pride, we are giving out awards for movies. If I needed to find pride in my country, I would go to my local grocery store and start racially profiling people. You think you are sneaking those strawberries under your turban? Not on my watch! Also, the actors from Twilight and Miley Cyrus do not belong at the awards. I realize you want to bring in the younger viewers, but seriously those people could not attract flies if they were wearing horse-shit covered overalls.

1 comment:

  1. I also didn't need the gayriffic dance number to the movies original scores. Break dancing to to classical music, fucking sweet.

    Hurt Locker is very good, but far from great. Remember for moments like this that I have a blog based upon my movie reviews, including the HURT LOCKER.

    ReplyDelete