Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One Person's Opinion....

I thought that people's opinions was one of the things this country was founded on. People can disagree and differ, and at the end you just say agree to disagree. Obviously, that is a duckies and bunnies approach to things, but I think it should apply even in the most serious of issues. And yes, I am talking about the Osama Bin Laden thing. Actually, not really his take down, but the fallout from the act.

When I heard the news I was awoken and had the TV thrown on and tried to take in as much as I could. They cut to people partying like it was New Years, and my first thought was , "That's odd." I went back to sleep and that was that. But I was troubled by the amount of celebrating taking place. Sure it was a good thing that he was gone, but it's not like America just won the Super Bowl.

And it was the groups that were forming that struck me as strange. A lot of younger kids, just yelling U-S-A. People younger than me. Just seemed bizarre. I think my main reaction is because I did not grow up in a military family. None of my immediate family or extended family (outside of one Uncle before I was born) ever served in the military. I respect the military and realize they do things every day that I chose not to take a part in. For that I am thankful for all that they do. So I thought that it was weird that a bunch of kids who looked like me would be celebrating so furiously.

I think what I have taken away from the experience is that like other things in my life, I have a greater respect for the process.I have a soon to be Brother in-law that works in Naval Intelligence and he was really jacked up about the whole thing. And I understand that, because he has a job that would help capture bad people. So, in essence, finding Bin Laden was validation for his job and career. I GET that, because we are all searching for validation in what we do with our lives whether that be career related or just living related. However, I can't really celebrate a death. I can be happy it happened and know the world is a better place because of it, but I will not chant or blow kazoo's

My final thoughts are on my final thoughts. And that is people who are getting ripped for saying, basically what I said. Most prominently is Rashard Mendenhall, running back for the Steelers. He tweeted that he couldn't revel in one person's death and then talked about how he was skeptical about 9/11. He also said that he was not trying to cause controversy, but create conversation. And, as expected, he got hammered. Now all you have to do is go on Netflix, find the Loose Change documentary, and you will be a little skeptical yourself. Is it enough to make me believe a conspiracy theory? Not really. Did it make me think about it and ask questions? Yes it did. So before we start crucifying some athlete, let's think about what he said and realize that in the terrorist's countries, you can't say those things.

And oh yeah, big eff you to Steelers owner Art Rooney for publicly condemning Mendenhall and releasing a statement saying his statements don't reflect the "Steeler Way." I understand his thought process, but just because you say something that is not the norm, doesn't mean you are cheering for Al-Queda. And, shocker, the words of a 25 year-old African American don't match the words of an 80 year-old white man. Alert the media! And Rooney even said there might be repercussions that equal a suspension for Mendenhall or possible release. In case you were keeping score, that means if you are on the Steelers keep sexually assaulting all you want, but Tweeting is off limits!

1 comment: