Monday, June 13, 2011

Settle Down LeBro-Bo's....

I haven't jumped into the world of sports lately. Partially because the teams I like suck. Actually, I take that back. The Bears made the NFC Championship game and the Bulls made the Eastern Conference Finals. A city like Detroit or Houston would kill for that. But I had to touch on the LeBron saga.

It's clear as day that LeBron is happy to defer to his teammates. I don't have a problem with that if you have some sort of killer instinct or drive at some point in your eyes. But it seems that what is killing James now is his perceived lack of toughness, both mentally and physically. I don't really understand that part. Physically, he is gifted and can do things at a length and poundage that the NBA has never seen before. Mentally, LeBron has had everyone gunning for him since he was 8 years-old. How has he not prepared himself for the backlash of anything he does, and how people respond to him opening his mouth? Does he deserve that backlash? Probably not, but tattooing "Chosen One" in bold letters on your flesh doesn't help your cause.

And we are all the fools, finally realizing that he is soft. Next Jordan? Hardly. It's not that LeBron failed, it's the fashion in which he failed. Jordan lost for 4 years before losing it. And then he got the right players and kept losing. But he put his foot down at the conference finals. No "wake-up call" loses in the Finals. That's unacceptable. LeBron now has two and you could argue his team was better in both of those Finals. I must say as a Jordan fan I am blinded by his greatness. And I realize it will be hard for anyone to surpass him in my eyes. Eventually it will happen, but it for damn sure won't be LeBron James.

I am sure Erik Spoelstra will get fired, because that is the easiest thing to change. Not necessarily the right thing, but the easiest change and or fix. I don't know what any coach could have done to get this team to play. They consistently lost games in the 4th quarter all year long. Part of that is strategy and part of it is effort. Not having a zone offense in the NBA is dumbfounding to me, but Miami didn't have one. That is a coaching oversight. But I don't think the Heat would have played any harder if Pat Riley was roaming the sideline. And with that, Riley needs to take a look at the monster he has created. Because with these losses, that monster just grew a third tail and ninth pair of eyes.

Lastly, congrats to the Mavs and their fans. They played well and showed what a team does. Their best player had a sub par game on the road, and they still win by double digits. Happy for Jason Kidd, who can now retire with his elusive title. Happy for Dirk Nowitzki, who can now play with no pressure, and possibly take a run at best power forward to ever play in the NBA (Bold, I know). And Happy for Mark Cuban, who got a title, and showed that you can be an a-hole and like able, because people envy and admire people who are passionate about what they do. Word to LeBron, you should read my last statement.

1 comment:

  1. You fire Eric Spolestra because he was out-coached in every series I ever saw. He had no offense to speak of. The "Sit back and have LeBron and Wade carry my worthless ass" offense failed against the Mavs. His timeouts were worthless and more like a tri-county coach than an NBA coach. He should be fucking ashamed of himself. There is no excuse for not being able to run plays to get Wade or James open. You fire Spolestra because you can find a better coach at McDonald's than Spolestra. He is either a complete idiot, or no player cares what he says. Bottom line he is completely ineffective and useless, but he can cut film after practice if he so chooses.

    I also have beef with Dirk being called the best power forward ever. Best scorer as a power forward, perhaps, but he falls short on the defensive end as well as the boards for my power forward of choice, Kevin Garnett.

    ReplyDelete