Monday, April 19, 2010

The eyes never lie....

The NFL Draft starts this Thursday, and I really do not care. First off, my nonchalance towards the issue is due to the Bears not having a first or second round pick this year, and quite frankly if your team's draft cupboard is that bare and you still are all jacked up, you sir have issues. Best case scenario for Chicago is that they somehow find offensive line and secondary help in rounds 3-7. Worst case scenario is that this draft is like every draft for the past 5 years. Pure suck. Actually I take that back, the Bears usually identify one talented guy, who is serviceable on the roster. Outside of that, epic suck. Now onto my draft thoughts.

If I was an executive, I would not touch Sam Bradford with a ten foot pole. Yes the guy is physically gifted, but he is injury prone and underachieved his entire career. In fact, Oklahoma is projected to have 3 players taken in the top 7 picks. And yet, they still can't win a bowl game. But seriously, if Bradford gets knocked out of a game against TCU, what makes you think he can stand in the pocket and take a hit from NFC West opponents Patrick Willis or Bertrand Berry. I also would have a hard time taking a quarterback with the top choice because of the money they get. Insiders say Bradford will get nearly 50 million bucks guaranteed, whether he sees the field or not. I'm just giving you one man's opinion, and that man says draft Suh or McCoy, and build a defense first, because it's not like the offenses in that division are that great.

If I was going to draft a quarterback I think it would be Tim Tebow. I almost threw up as I said that, but the reason you pick him is because he works. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Steve Young, but the guy has an NFL body and can play something. And after watching the Jon Gruden special on ESPN, the guy is at least passionate and is willing to do anything to play in the league. I will also say that though I don't agree with his whole Jesus praisin' image, everyone vouches for his work ethic. Back in 97, there was debate on whether Indianapolis should take Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. They graded out equally on the physical tools, but when it came to work-ethic no one would back Leaf. And as we know now, Manning (love him or hate him) has made his studying of the league, legendary. So if I was an exec, in round 2 or 3, I would take a flyer on him.

And my last thought is about the ESPN special with Jon Gruden. I was watching part of it on TV and my lovely fiancee said, "Is this actually interesting to you?" And I was hooked. Jon Gruden may no longer hold a coaching job, but he knows what you need to make the league and how to handle yourself. It is from this special that I finally started to look at Tebow a little differently. He seemed to be the only one taking the advice to heart. Bradford and Clausen looked bored and completely disinterested in a Super Bowl winning coach helping them. McCoy was engaging, but I seriously don't think he has the tools to succeed at the next level. I really enjoyed the special and wish they could do a defensive installment as well. I will always be intrigued by x and o talk about any sport.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a fact Tebow will become an NFL quarterback at some point because he's the hardest worker out there. I don't like the fragile label on Bradford because a 300-pound man landing on your shoulder is going to fuck you up, no matter who you are. His shoulder isn't made out of paper mache', he just took a couple bad hits. He does need to protect himself better, which he'll learn in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete