Monday, May 24, 2010

Welcome Home.....


Regardless of where you go, I have found that I always enjoy coming home. However, after spending 2 days in Texas I expected it to be cooler in Minneapolis. No dice. It was just as hot and humid, and I call shenanigans.


Trip was awesome and I enjoyed myself immensely. My flight down on Friday night was good and probably the best flight I have ever been on. I was a touch late leaving partly because 30 minutes before departure time, Suzy ticket taker came over the loudspeaker and said there were no pilots or attendants at the plane. In my head I went, "Hmmmm, I hear those are important parts of the flight." So I had a few extra minutes to realize that now NFL Hall of Famer John Randle was sitting next to me. Don't worry, I wasn't that guy who bugged him. So flying in was good and then I was whisked away to Arlington.


Went out on Friday night to a local establishment and enjoyed some $2 PBR drafts (Yeah buddy!). Was just able to relax and shoot the shit with buddies. Enjoyed the mini golf game at the sports bar too. It was essentially Golden Tee, but just mini golf. Hells Yes.


On Saturday we made it over to new Cowboys Stadium which is pictured above. That place is absolutely mind-boggling. I have been to some really cool stadiums and parks, and this was the only one where I walked in and my mouth dropped. It was unbelievable and in a good way. I was very interested in what $1 billion could buy you. That answer is an absolute palace. Marble concourses. Lockers made from some rare wood from Africa. And I also hear Jerry Jones Vita-Chamber was somewhere in his dungeon office.


After that we traversed to Dallas to take in a little history at the Grassy Knoll. It is a cool place to visit, but I wish it was a little more somber. Conspiracy theorists are out peddling $5 magazines with pictures, and tourists are taking pictures on the "X" in the street where JFK was shot. Call me old fashioned, but a man was shot there. Would you go stand on top of a grave at a cemetery? I think not. Lets show a little respect kids.


After enjoying some delicious beef brisket, we headed to Arlington for some Cubs/Rangers action. Great game, won in extras by the Cubs. The stadium for being nearly 20 years old is really nice and it was absolutely packed. The atmosphere was great. And my trip was a complete success after the win


We went back out to the same place Saturday night and good times were had by all. I thouroughly enjoyed my trip and couldn't have asked for a better 40 hours. I did enjoy coming home though.


And for the record, I have now been to a baseball game where before the first pitch, the PA system blares "God Bless Texas." Now I have seen it all.

1 comment:

  1. Anyone that stands on that "X" can feel free to stand on the eternal flame in JFK's honor at Arlington National Cemetery as well.

    ReplyDelete