Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The World is a Little Quieter Today...

Billy Mays. What can I say, the man was a legend. He could sell you anything, and in fact did sell you everything for the past 30 years of his life. He died tragically and unfortunately leaves his family behind. He has a wife and a little 3 year old kid, and for that I am sad. People made fun of Billy Mays for hawking crappy items and that is their right. But after watching his reality show, this man was as devoted as they come. He loved what he did, and it seemed like he took pure joy out of taking an idea and running with it. So I will remember the great times I had watching Billy Mays' infomercials, and mourn the best his industry has ever seen.

It's weird with all of these deaths lately. The King of Pop has been dethroned and it sucks. I'm not a fan by any means, but I do realize the impact he had on the entertainment industry and people in general. However, that does not make him immune to jokes. Because let's be honest, the guy was certifiable. I never knew the entertaining Michael Jackson. I knew the kid diddler. And for that I am sad.

Farrah Fawcett was beautiful and made a great career out of playing parts that didn't require a whole lot of acting. But to her credit, she was a good actress who just happened to be one of the most naturally beautiful people on the planet. She was on Charlie's Angels for just one year, and that is what everyone remembers her for. I can only hope I can make an impact like that in such a short amount of time.

And Ed McMahon was one of the best the television industry has ever seen, and you will probably never see a side-kick like him again. People are too greedy to share the lime-light, but he never wavered in his support of Johnny Carson. I don't think people quite realize what it takes to be on the air 250 nights a year for 30 years. That is truly amazing and is a feat we will never see duplicated.

All of these people deserve the accolades they are receiving. They were great at what they did and brought joy to millions. Sure they had their rough patches, but who doesn't. I for one will take a moment to remember them, and hope some up and comers can take their places.

No comments:

Post a Comment