Friday, June 12, 2009

Zach's Guide to Movies in 2009...

As anyone who truly knows me has found out, I tend to enjoy movies and be a bit of a snob about them. Not to the point where all I watch is indie-Michael Cera smoochy smoochy garbage. But I do tend to look a little further into most movies. That doesn't mean I don't go for entertainment, but I just seem to pay more attention to directing and things of that nature than other people. The summer movie season is kicking into full swing. If you are yet to see The Hangover, I highly suggest you do so. With that said, here is my definitive list of movies I'm jacked up to see this year.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - June 24th - I throw out all I said before about looking deeper and delving into hidden themes. There are three reasons to see this movie. Big effing robots, Megan Fox in a tank top, and bigger effing robots. Hopefully Michael Bay will stick to those bullet points, and will have another movie that grosses a berzillion dollars.

Funny People - July 31st - Judd Apatow can usually do no wrong, and I believe this movie will be no different. Adam Sandler hasn't been funny since The Wedding Singer, and this is his first real chance to be funny since then. Sadly the movie does have Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen, which will detract, yet Jason Schwartzman will be awesome as usual. I highly suggest you check out the trailer, since it has more laughs than any Eddie Murphy movie ever did.

Inglorious Basterds - August 21st - Quentin. Enough said. Either way it's a movie he has been working on forever which means it's either awesome or terrible. Word out of Cannes, where it was first screened, is that is a little slow and dialogue heavy. Just the way Zach likes his Tarantino. Some German guy who plays a Nazi took home best actor from Cannes so that must stand for something. Either way, I am seeing this movie based on the director's track record of making bad ass flicks.

Shutter Island - October 2nd - I'll just list the short of it. Two 1950's police detectives investigate a missing person at a mental asylum. Directed by Martin Scorcese, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, adapted from a book written by Dennis LeHane. A trailer for this was released yesterday, and it falls on the spectrum in between awesome and bat-shit crazy. Take it or leave it, but if you aren't excited for this movie than we can no longer be friends.

Couples Retreat - October 9th - Vaughn, Favreau, and Bateman? I'm game. One can only hope it is better than Vince Vaughn's last few outings. I personally think they were not that bad. Fred Clause was much more enjoyable than people think, and Four Christmases was derailed by the bitchy express train known as Reese Witherspoon. So I say, go get em' boys.

Sherlock Holmes - December 25th - Jesusmas brings Robert Downey Jr. in the titular role with Jude Law and Rachel McAdams in support. Guy Ritchie directs, and there is a good chance he has his life-force back after ten years of Madonna sucking it out of his body. Chances are awesomeness and hilarity will ensue.

With that said, those are the movie I am excited to see. In a few days I'll come up with movies you couldn't force me to watch at gunpoint. And no big surprise a Cameron Diaz movie makes the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment