Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I gotta feva.....

and the only prescription has been more World Cup. Yeah, I realize I am one of those guys. I like a niche sport. Oh wait, it's only a niche sport in our country. And now that the stars and stripes have advanced to the knockout stage, people will start caring. Not unlike the winter Olympics and the USA's run to the gold-medal game. I have always been a soccer fan, played it for nearly 10 years, and while not an avid follower, I've probably watched more soccer than 98% of the people in this country. I find the game fun and truly showing off great athletes.

The US has been unspectacularly spectacular in their group play. They should have lost to England and drew 1-1. They should have lost to Slovenia and drew 2-2. They outplayed Algeria and based off their chances, could have won 6-0. Instead Landon Donovan had a flail for the dramatic with a goal in the 91st minute, and the US won 1-0. They finished group play undefeated, with 5 points, and their first group stage win since 1930 when only 13 teams were in the World Cup. Pretty staggering stuff. I give kudos to a team that should have been packing their bags long ago.

The US now draws Ghana, who finished second in their group 1-1-1 with 4 points. Ghana is ranked 32nd in the world and the US is 14th. If they get past them they play the winner of Uruguay/South Korea, who are 16/47 in the rankings. I know lots of numbers. But the US has an opportunity to get through the first two rounds. Do I think it will happen? Not really, but then again I didn't think they could come back in their first 2 games or win their 3rd. The team has a chip and a chair, and that is all they need.

Keys to the game against Ghana go like this.
1.) No early goals
2.) Force the issue
3.) Shore up the defense

If they do those things they have an opportunity. Ghana only scored 2 goals in their 2 games against inferior competition. Not much firepower. Time to take it to them. I unfortunately can't watch the game on Saturday, as I will be in the car driving to a wedding. But I will get highlights.....

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the USA can fake injuries better than Ghana, ensuring victory.

    ReplyDelete