Monday, April 27, 2009

All Star Cast = Pretty Solid Movie....

I ventured with my parents to an early showing of State of Play this weekend. Laugh if you must at the high amount of lameocity I possess, but I got to see a pretty good film for $5.

The movie was a whodunit much like All the President's Men. I could recite that movie to you after watching it at least 4 times in college. (Throws hands in air, screams MARTINO!!!!!). First scene is some people getting killed, and then a young girl getting thrown in front of a train. She works for a Congressman and once word filters out who she is, all hell breaks loose. The paper gets word of everything and then there is a lot digging, and even more cover ups

The plot was all around good until the last 30 minutes when all the loose ends had to be tied up in front of my face. I don't know about the general public, but I like some wonder in my mysteries. It doesn't need to be shown to me in step-by-step fashion.

Russell Crowe plays the grizzled veteran journalist who always digs a little too deep. Rachel McAdams is the upstart blogger with no real journalistic skill or ambition. Helen Mirren is the prototypical bitchy editor of the paper. Ben Affleck is the upstart Congressman. They were all serviceable. I liked watching McAdams because she is easy on the eyes, and she actually got to act. She was an integral part of nearly every important scene and got to show she is more than just the wife or girlfriend (I'm looking at your career Kate Hudson!).

Other stall warts were Jeff Daniels and Jason Bateman, both in supporting fashion. Daniels is great in nearly everything he does and his versatility is pretty awesome. And Bateman is just Bateman. Something tells me if you are making a movie and you need a snarky, slimy, sleazeball, Jason Bateman's blackberry is the first one you are calling. It's just so effortless and he never disappoints in supporting roles.

I enjoyed the movie because it makes you think and I just enjoy quasi-mystery movies. However, the ending takes a few points of an otherwise outstanding film to watch on a dreary Saturday morning.

7/10 overall

No comments:

Post a Comment