Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening Day...

This is truly one of my favorite days of the year. Baseball is back and with that six months of sun drenched awesomeness. The Cubs start their quest this evening in Houston. Last time we saw them Big Z threw a no-hitter and Theodore Roosevelt Lilly threw a one hitter. And oh yeah, the Astros got older and less talented. I like the Cubs odds in the first series. I honestly love every series in baseball. If you win 2 of 3 then you make the playoffs easily. This is the mindset I take into the season as a fan and hopefully the Cubs do as well

A lot has changed for the Cubs in a few short months. They said goodbye to Mark DeRosa and Kerry Wood. They were two of the good guys in all of baseball and unfortunately they had to go. I realize I am in the minority, but I like what the Cubs did with getting rid of these guys. They sold high on DeRosa and got 3 prospects in return. I'll take 3 prospects for an aging utility player any day. The loss of Kerry Wood is not as easy to take only because he was a life-long Cub and did great things for the organization. But I stand by the adage that it is always better to get rid of a guy one year early, than one year late.

But enough with the sob story, reasons why I am excited for the season.

1.) Milton Bradley - Every one's favorite psycho is on the north side. Sure he is injury prone and at times bat-shit crazy, but the man can flat out rake. Last season in Texas, the Parker Brothers cousin hit .321 with 22 dingers and 77 rbi's. He also led the AL in On-base percentage at .436. Those numbers are staggering. and you are putting him smack dab in the middle of an offense that was top 3 in nearly every statistical category last year. That left-handed bat is going to be money this year.

2.) Rich Harden - He MIGHT be the best pitcher in all of baseball WHEN healthy. Those are some big ifs, but a full season of Harden will be wonderful. Injuries are always a concern, but I honestly think we will see a season where he takes the ball 25 times goes 12-3 with a 3.50 ERA. And you know what else? The guy is the teams FOURTH starter.

3.) Lou Pinella - In two years he has 182 wins and two division titles. The last time the Cubs made three straight postseasons: 1906,1907,1908. That's right a freaking century ago. Either way Sweet Lou is the man that drives the train.

I have so many other reasons to be excited, but not nearly enough space or time. In short I love Opening Day and hope springs for another season of America's pastime. Is this the year? Could be. I don't know. But what I do know is for 6 months I am distracted from just about everything else in the world. Predictions are for fairies so I don't make any. The only prediction I make is a statement that resonates true. I love baseball, I love Opening Day, and by-God I love the Chicago Cubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment