Friday, April 3, 2009

Oh. My. Goodness.....

I was driving home last night while listening to The Afternoon Saloon on ESPN Radio 1000 out of Chicago. I listen everyday because I still love Chicago sports, and they guys are entertaining and knowledgeable. Then the news hit. The Bears had acquired Jay Cutler. What? I thought it was a day-late attempt at an April Fool's joke. Really? Cutler? As in played in the Pro Bowl, better arm than Sex Cannon, pouty, baby Cutler? And it was true.

My immediate reaction was tepid at best. You give up a lot to get a guy who could be a big time player. He has had issues with management and you never like to see that. And they gave up a lot to get him. Two first round picks, a third rounder, and a serviceable quarterback.

Then I looked at the upside. The Bears are terrible drafters in the first round. They find solid guys in the later rounds, but the last good starter they found in the first round was Tommie Harris and that was five years ago. So I'm convinced they would have screwed the pooch with those picks anyways. You lose Captain Neckbeard, which pains me only because he is a fantastic character. A blue-collar guy who goes to work, sports fantastic facial hair, and then gets drunk to the point that any self-loathing woman would sleep with him. Sounds kind of like the Uncle everyone had who your parents wouldn't let be in the room alone with you when you were 7.

But I digress. The worst that can happen is Cutler busts, is gone in three years, and the Bears start over. But for just once the Bears have gone out and thrown caution to the winds. They have said just getting by with a game manager is not enough. All they need now is some more line depth (both sides) and a wide receiver.

And I look forward to Week 1 when Devin Hester catches a 65-yard bomb over the shoulder in stride as he streaks into the end zone in Lambeau.

Suck on that Packers....

No comments:

Post a Comment