Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thoughts on Religion...

Wow, I scare myself with a title like that. But I truly have been thinking about religion lately. I think a lot of that has to do with reading Angels & Demons again. I recognize the book as a work of fiction and I believe that is why it raises so many questions. And why I think all people who consider themselves "religious radicals" regardless of their sects or beliefs are ridiculous. Lots of R's there, but it is true.

Example number 1 - The crusades - People actually moved into a different area of the world, took it from those who lived there, and made people convert to their belief system. And if those people didn't like it, their wives and daughters were raped, and then they got a spear in the head. Sounds exactly like what Jesus, or Muhammad had in mind doesn't it. A little rape and murder.

Example number 2 - Censorship from the Pope - Back in the day, the Pope thought people were so unstable that if they even viewed a penis or a vagina, they would become promiscuous. So in a truly visionary program, the Pope had the genitals cut off of statues and covered by plastic fig leaves. How messed up is that? You know what I don't get freaked out by? Seeing a penis. You know what I do get freaked out by? Seeing a chopped off penis.

Example number 3 - Mine is better than Yours - In a few words, no it isn't. Just because you have a different belief system doesn't make you better, it makes you different. It's been said many times by people much smarter than me, that most religion is the same and just changed over time and place. I think that is true and if people just got over themselves and accepted others, things would be much better off.

I digress a bit, but I think I make some valid points. Everything I have ever learned about religion is about forgiveness, acceptance, and community. Well none of that is happening when gay people are persecuted, or Muslims are stereotyped, or rape victims are shunned for receiving abortions.

How do we fix our culture? I'm not sure. However, I think the Native Americans were on to something with worshiping the land. We are a part of it, and it is a part of us. Nothing more and nothing less. If we all were to follow that law this world would be a better place. And I think, in the end, that is all anyone wants.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously even delving into all the insanity that has been carried out in the name of religion is just insane. I also have to bring up how much I hate people bending religion just to fit their own agenda's and make it easier for them. God did you open a freakishly large can of worms on this one.

    ReplyDelete