Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I was tricked...

I consider myself to be a pretty perceptive person. I try and gather facts and then make an informed decision about almost everything. Well, I read reviews, watched trailers, and did everything but read the comics. And then I went and saw Watchmen.

First things first, the people who compiled that trailer should be given a medal. The movie is not an action movie, it is a drama. The trailer would have you believe it was a rock em'-sock em', balls to the walls action movie. It was not, and I am OK with that.

The movie was solid. I enjoyed it thoroughly despite its 2 hours and 43 minute run time. It was a little lengthy and things could have been cut out. I didn't need to see every frame from the comics. I followed the storyline just fine, I didn't need to be beat over the head with topics for 10 straight minutes. I get it, move on, lets go.

Three things I liked:
1.) Back stories for each characters - They were awesome and I wish there had been more time dedicated to them.

2.) Staying true to source material - Though I gripe about the length, the violence and sexual content was over the top and at times tough to watch, keeping the tone of the graphic novel.

3.) Opening scene and credits - Absolutely fantastic and put me in the mood for the film
Honorable Mention: Soundtrack - Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, absolutely bad ass

Three Things I didn't like:
1.) Pacing - The film bogged down in the middle especially after the scenes involving The Comedian

2.) Casting - Some were spot on. Malin Akerman on the other hand was not good and rather wooden. Seems to me they just found a semi up and coming actress who was willing to get naked. And the guy who played Nixon was in the movie way too long. In a year with Frost/Nixon, the Watchmen Nixon looked phony and contrived.

3.) Zack Snyder - I just really don't like the guys style. He was suited well for this movie, but I am sorry, He is not a "visionary director." He is a guy who takes source material and makes a carbon copy of it on the big screen. A visionary is someone who develops a story, knows how to pace that story, and then delivers the goods. Instead he takes every action sequence and loads it up with slo-mo replays that make me think I'm watching The Matrix again.

To repeat on Snyder, I don't hate the guy. I just don't think you do three movies and become visionary. Especially when your first movie was a remake and the next two are graphic novel adaptations.

All in all a satisfying experience. Word on the street is a director's Cut DVD will be released and I'm sure I will catch it then.

Overall
7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment