Wednesday, March 18, 2009

One Shining Moment.....

Somewhere Luther Vandross is smiling. We are t-minus 20 hours to when the ball is tipped and the NCAA tournament begins. Like every year, hope springs eternal when you are in the dance. And that means its bracket time. I really like this year for me. Do I think my picks are good? Maybe. But my mind is clear because I have no outstanding biases as in years past. There is no team I despise (I'm talking about your Gators Billy Donovan), and no team I'm for (usually the Illini). Sure Bruce Weber's boys are in the tourney, but in my eyes they are playing with house money. One win and I will be very happy.

So with a clear mind I give you Zach's Picks -

Midwest - Louisville - I know they are the overall #1 seed but Terrance Williams is a monster and their press is terrifying. If they don't wear themselves out they are scary as hell. I also have Wake Forest, Michigan St., and West Virginia in the sweet sixteen. I'm a sucker for the Mountaineers. You've been PITTSNOGLED!

West - UConn - I don't like Jim Calhoun or his players, but their defense is fantastic. Only injuries can hold them back in this bracket. I also have Washington, Utah St., and Memphis in the sweet 16. Utah St. is my dark horse this year because someone has to do it. they match up very well with Marquette, and I am not sold on Missouri. Take it down Aggies.

South - North Carolina - I don't like Tyler Hansborough and I HATE Roy Williams, but the talent is too much. They will be tested by Butler, but I see them walking to the Final Four. I also have Gonzaga, Syracuse, and Oklahoma. I am not high on the Orange, but match ups say they make it to the second weekend.

East - Duke - Call me what you want, I don't care. Duke is the best team in this bracket so suck on that Jamie Dixon. Pitt may have more talent, but the Blue Devils are coming together. I also think they have the toughest draw out of everyone. I have them beating Binghamton, Texas, Villanova, and Pitt to get to Detroit. And they will do it. I also have a Sweet 16 of Pittsburgh, Florida St., and Villanova. Watch out for the Wildcats, if they beat Duke I think they go to Detroit.

Final Four - Louisville vs. UConn & Duke vs. North Carolina

Louisville wins because their pressure is too good and UConn will go cold. I don't trust the Huskies when they have more talent. They play down to opponents and it will bite them here.

Duke and UNC National Semifinal - ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!? The law of three is in effect as Duke takes down the Heels. It is extremely difficult to beat a team three times in one season and the shooting of Jon Scheyer and Gerald Henderson is too much. UNC has a shot if Ty Lawson plays well, but he tends to disappear. So do UNC's title chances.

Title Game - Louisville vs. Duke

Can you tell I love pressure defense? Duke is finally too worn down to fight back. They hang around for a half and then Louisville goes for the jugular. Playing in the Big East has its advantages, and Rick Pitino takes home his second National Championship.

I love the tournament and will be highlighting and number crunching all weekend long. I wish everyone else good luck and, god willing, this tournament will be the best we have ever seen.

2 comments:

  1. Blah. Blah, blah, blah. That's all I read out of that post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I lied. You sound like the teacher from the Peanuts whenever I hear you speak sports.

    ReplyDelete