Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lunchtime Bloggin'

I supply you with some random thoughts as I eat my healthy lunch of brown rice, vegetables, and fruits.

State of the Union address was last night and at least what I saw was uneventful. The President (and I am talking about the figure, not the man) can't win in any situation. Regardless of what they think, someone is going to be upset and believe the opposite. I truly believe it is the worst job in America. Just imagine if every moment in your day was planned and every decision you made would be scrutinized by at least half of our country. I would last about 20 minutes and then when I said I had to go to the bathroom, I would slip away like Inspector Gadget. I didn't make it through the whole thing, which was 69 minutes long. You see that, 69 minutes. My god our President is a pervert. See how easy and fun it is to scrutinize.

Currently reading an article on ESPN.com about Tony Dungy and what he has done after coaching for the community at large. He is a good man and I don't think anyone would deny that. Now I don't agree with everything he says when it comes to religion or spirituality, but in a time where athletes and public figures for that matter shy away from controversy, Dungy is refreshing. I'm not saying he is a saint because he is helping Michael Vick or anything like that. I'm just saying he could have run away from the situation, but he actually approached Vick. He came in to try and help someone who is in the midst of a truly terrible issue. Dungy is clearly grounded, has his beliefs, and shares them with anyone who asks or will listen. I wish I could be more like that, or just people in general could have more of those qualities.

And finally anyone who follows sports knew the only reason to have a subscription to Sports Illustrated was to read Rick Reilly's back cover column. Well now he is at ESPN and still puts out a tremendous column every week. I've been going back in the archives lately and the dude can flat out lay the pen down. He does humor, sports, and tragedy all in one. If you have a chance I highly suggest you go to the archive and look up the story about the transgender sportswriter. I won't say much because it is a tender topic, but he essentially knew this writer as a man and a woman and respected all that they were. This person unfortunately killed them self, but it was a great column and one I'm sure that person would have read and respected.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the writing buddy. State of the Union addresses are so lame. Lincoln was the only man who could deliver a smashing one.

    ReplyDelete